Here are sample combinations for the 10 sets in the Exercise in Adding and Arranging Participial Phrases on page one. Keep in mind that in some cases more than one effective combination is possible.
- I could hear thunder rumbling in the distance.
- Encouraged by the polite applause of the audience, Professor Legree repeated his favorite joke.
- The children gazed at the monkeys hanging by their tails from the branches.
- Hanging by their tails from the branches, the monkeys stared back at the children.
- I watched the sun rise over the ridge, blazing over houses, farms, and fields.
- Distracted by an ostrich in the dugout, the first baseman bobbled the line drive.
- I found the kitten trapped inside the clothes hamper.
- Hiding inside the clothes hamper, little Danny waited for the thunderstorm to pass.
- Merdine found a cupcake hidden behind the refrigerator.
- Pushing my cart down the aisle of the supermarket, I hummed along with the music.
Next Exercise: Building Sentences with Participial Phrases