Style & Figures of Speech
Figures of Speech
Aristotle may be 2,500 years old--but his writings on rhetoric are still relevant today.
- Top 20 Figures of Speech
- Figures of Speech in Advertising Slogans
- Definitions of Rhetoric
- Tool Kit for Rhetorical Analysis
- Sample Rhetorical Analysis
- What Is a Metaphor?
- 13 Ways of Looking at a Metaphor
- Humaphors: The Top 10 Metaphors of Stephen Colbert
- The Metaphors of Dr. Gregory House
- Metaphors Be With You
- Who or What Is Personification?
- What Is Irony?
- What Is an Analogy?
- Homer Simpson's Figures of Speech
- Discussion Questions for Rhetorical Analysis
- 100 Sweet Similes
Writing With Style
Learn how to become a more versatile and imaginative writer.
- What Is Style?
- Figures & Tropes
- Using Similes and Metaphors
- A Scrapbook of Styles
- Kurt Vonnegut on Writing with Style
- Writing with Lists
- Using Sentence Fragments Effectively
- Effective Strategies of Repetition
- Ten Principles of Effective Writing
- Tricolons: Writing With the Magic Number Three
- Bdelygmia: The Perfect Rant
- How to Write Good, by William Safire
- Essays on English Prose Style
Pros on Prose
Major writers of the past and present discuss reading, writing, and the English language.
- William F. Buckley on Words
- Anthony Burgess on the English Language
- Samuel Butler on Words and Writing
- Natalia Ginzburg on Being a Great Small Writer
- Doris Lessing on the Compulsion to Write
- Bernard Levin on Writers and Writing
- Norman Mailer on Writers and Writing
- Maugham on Writing Without Frills
- H.L. Mencken on the Writing Life
- Toni Morrison on Writing
- Joyce Carol Oates on Writing: "Don't Give Up"
- George Orwell's Rules for Writers
- Grace Paley on Writing
- Poe on Punctuation
- "Murder Your Darlings": Quiller-Couch on Style
- Pirsig on Overcoming Writer's Block
- Dr. Seuss on Writing
- Swift on Style: Keep It Simple
- Mark Twain's Top 10 Writing Tips
- James Thurber on Writing and Editing