This exercise will give you practice in identifying conjunctions--words that serve to connect words, phrases, clauses, and sentences. Before attempting the exercise, you may find it helpful to review the article Coordinating Words, Phrases, and Clauses.
Each of the following ten sentences contains at least one conjunction--either a coordinating conjunction or a correlative conjunction (or both). Identify the conjunction(s) in each sentence, and then compare your answers with those on page two.
TIP: To view this exercise without ads, click on the printer icon near the top of the page.
- "Syrio says every swordsman should study cats. They're as quiet as shadows and as light as feathers. You have to be quick to catch them."
(Maisie Williams as Arya Stark, Game of Thrones, 2011)
- "Canadian Thanksgiving celebrates explorer Martin Frobisher's valiant yet ultimately unsuccessful attempt to find the northwest passage."
(Cobie Smulders as Robin Scherbatsky, How I Met Your Mother, 2007)
- "Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon, and the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?"
(Sean Astin as Sam, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, 2003)
- "You know, Penny, there is something that occurs in beehives that you might find interesting. Occasionally a new queen bee will arrive while the old queen is still in power. When this happens, the old queen must either locate to a new hive or engage in a battle to the death until only one queen remains."
(Jim Parsons as Sheldon, The Big Bang Theory, 2009)
- "A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely."
(Liam Neeson as Henri Ducard, Batman Begins, 2005)
- "I do not know what strength is in my blood, but I swear to you I will not let the White City fall, nor our people fail."
(Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, 2001)
- "When their enemies were at the gates, the Romans would suspend democracy and appoint one man to protect the city. It wasn't considered an honor; it was considered a public service. . . . You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
(Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight, 2008)
- "There's a moment sailors call slack tide, when the tide is neither coming in nor going out, but perfectly still. It's a moment frozen in time."
(Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan, Dexter, 2009)
- "There's this cafe on the banks of the Arno. Every fine evening, I'd sit there and order a Fernet Branca. I had this fantasy that I would look across the tables and I'd see you there, with a wife and maybe a couple of kids. You wouldn't say anything to me, nor me to you. But we'd both know that you'd made it, that you were happy."
(Michael Caine as Alfred, The Dark Knight Rises, 2012)
- "Music is at once the product of feeling and knowledge, for it requires from its disciples, composers and performers alike, not only talent and enthusiasm, but also that knowledge and perception which are the result of protracted study and reflection."
(attributed to both Hector Berlioz and Alban Berg)
- Practice in Identifying Coordinating Conjunctions: The Dr. Seuss Edition
- Introduction to Sentence Combining