Instructions:Revise each of the following sentences by changing the verb from the passive voice to the active voice. Here is an example:
Original sentence:When you're done, compare your revised sentences with those on page two.
The city was nearly destroyed by the hurricane.
The hurricane nearly destroyed the city.
TIP: To view this exercise without ads, click on the printer icon near the top of the page.
- The school was struck by lightning.
- This morning the burglar was arrested by the police.
- One type of air pollution is caused by hydrocarbons.
- An elaborate supper for the miners was prepared by Mr. Patel and his children.
- The cookies were stolen by the Mad Hatter.
- New York City's Central Park was designed in 1857 by F.L. Olmsted and Calbert Vaux.
- It was decided by the court that the contract was invalid.
- The first commercially successful portable vacuum cleaner was invented by a janitor who was allergic to dust.
- After Leonardo da Vinci's death, the Mona Lisa was purchased by King Francis I of France.
- The allegorical novel Animal Farm was written by British author George Orwell during World War II.