This sentence-expanding exercise will give you additional practice in applying the principles and guidelines in these three articles and exercises:
- Practice in Adding Adjectives and Adverbs to the Basic Sentence Unit
- Practice in Using Adjectives Formed From Nouns and Verbs
- Practice in Turning Adjectives Into Adverbs
Original: The _____ cat rested _____ on the windowsill.
Expanded: The old gray cat rested fitfully on the windowsill.
Of course, there's no single set of correct answers to this exercise. Simply rely on your imagination to expand the original sentences, and then compare your new sentences with those created by your classmates.
TIP: To view this exercise without ads, click on the printer icon near the top of the page.
- One _____ afternoon in July, I walked with my cousin to the petting zoo.
- Under the rickety old bridge lived a(n) _____ witch.
- Gertrude waited _____ for the Lorax to arrive.
- The mouse in our kitchen was _____ small.
- We heard _____ music playing in the _____ apartment next door.
- A(n) _____ man walked _____ up and down the room.
- The twins were playing _____ in their _____ playpen.
- The _____ wizard watched _____ as Rico became more and more upset.
- The _____ playground was filled with _____ leaves.
- A(n) _____ teacher spoke _____ to the boys in the hallway.