This exercise will give you practice in using the correct forms of irregular verbs. Before attempting the exercise, you may find it helpful to review these two articles:
Complete each sentence below with the appropriate present, past, or past-participle form of the irregular verb in italics. When you're done, compare your answers with those on page two.
TIP: To view this exercise without ads, click on the printer icon near the top of the page.
- Uncle Bert told me he had _____ (sell) his car for one dollar to a needy family.
- No one answered when Freddie _____ (ring) the doorbell.
- We nearly _____ (freeze) our toes off in a bedroom that wasn't heated.
- Jessica suddenly remembered that a week ago she had _____ (lend) her brother a hundred dollars.
- My sister left the birthday party early because she had _____ (drink) too much Coca Cola and made herself sick.
- Last Sunday morning we discovered that the old boiler had _____ (spring) a leak.
- John went to the blackboard and _____ (draw) a picture of the playground.
- Don't call the world dirty because you _____ (forget) to clean your glasses.
- Jobie had _____ (string) a clothesline from the top of the trailer to the woodshed eaves.
- The group had _____ (begin) to split up into cliques and factions.
- Buddy had never _____ (ride) in a limousine before.
- "Habit is a cable; we _____ (weave) a thread of it each day, and at last we cannot break it." (Horace Mann)
- The paper reported that a major earthquake had _____ (shake) the interior of Mexico, killing thousands.
- When we were five years old, Mike and I solemnly _____ (swear) to remain friends forever.
- Moira had _____ (mean) to send her father a birthday card, but as usual she forgot.
- The force of the shock from the explosion _____ (break) every window in the old school building.
- Uncle Bert had _____ (go) to the post office at lunch time but never came back.
- Trying to be good Samaritans had _____ (bring) us nothing but trouble.
- The student insisted that someone had _____ (steal) his sunglasses, but everyone could see that they were still sitting on top of his head.
- Walt Disney claimed that he loved Mickey Mouse more than any woman he had ever _____ (know).