Here are some of the odder topics covered over the past six years at About.com Grammar & Composition:
- Open-ended essay assignments can lead to some fine writing, but sometimes the strategy backfires--as demonstrated by this highly improbable list of the Ten Worst Student Essay Topics of All Time.
- In Monty Python, Figuratively Speaking, find out how the members of Britain's favorite comedy troupe have revitalized the figures of speech.
- Can wisecracks from the likes of Sideshow Bob, Krusty the Clown, and Linguo the Grammar Robot endure alongside passages from Shakespeare, Twain, and Churchill? Probably not. But for your momentary edification and amusement, consider these Language Lessons From The Simpsons.
- Along the way, why not make a quick stop at Bar Humbug, All Cisterns Go, or Jamaican Me Hungry--just a few of our Store Name Puns.
- Do you know the proper term for the tube of cardboard inside a roll of toilet paper: daw-daw, taw taw, doot-do, der der, hoo-hoo, or to-do to-do? Find out what your neighbors are saying at What Is Family Slang?
- And in Mixed Metaphors, be prepared to "walk into the bowels of the armpit of the cesspool of crime."
Join us as we revisit these and other eccentric linguistic events in the updated edition of The Lighter Side of Language at Grammar & Composition.